Monday, April 9, 2012

The Writing Process (El Proceso de Escritura)

   In my kindergarten/1st grade Spanish Immersion classroom, I do see quite a bit of writing instruction, done primarily by the MSU Student Teacher.  Many of her techniques are similar to what both Gibbons and Tompkins suggest, and I have seen significant improvement in the writing of both the class as a whole, and individual students.  I am elated to not only see this improvement, but also a more holistic approach, in that the student teacher places instruction on writing in every subject, instead of teaching writing as a separate-and-distinct entity.  The students journal about their math and science experiences, and during Black History Month, they had the opportunity to work with a teacher during social studies to construct a mini-report book upon an influential figure of history.  I helped the Kindergartners write their report on Harriet Tubman, and I learned a lot of patience!  Getting students to write in their second language is difficult, but can be done!

    Gibbons’ section on learning to write in a second language really rang true to the techniques I see in my classroom.  Gibbons mentions that “many young writers rely on and then for sequencing accounts and narratives” and suggests that teachers scaffold the use of language for second-language learners (69).  Much earlier in the year, the student teacher taught a unit on this sequencing, using the words primero (first), despues (after), luego (later) and al final (finally).  She included these words on a word bank in the classroom, and had students do centers for a few days so that they could understand how to use these words in place of “and and and.”  Her first mini-unit was on “how-to’s” and was “how to brush your teeth,” since her step-dad was a dentist.  The students got to put the words in order, and discuss the steps, as well as read a book and discuss the steps using the words.  My center, however, was highly authentic, as it was a video of her father giving the directions to the children in his dentist uniform.  The video was in English, so I was able to pause the video, and discuss the words in Spanish, to help the students make the connections.  At the end of this mini-unit, the students came up with the how-to sequencing to brush their teeth, and acted it out with free toothbrushes provided by her dad.  Super cute.

    This was all part of the “pre-writing” stage cited by Tompkins, in which students “choose a topic, consider purpose and form, and gather and organize ideas for writing” (53).  Since kindergartners and first graders are in the very early stages of physically writing, many times, the teacher will have them organize their thoughts and talk as a form of writing.  They were very focused upon what genre they were writing: a how-to instead of a story, as well as the organization and form by using the four sequencing words.  Their discussions using these sequencing words to come up with a how-to was their writing.  After other lessons on sequencing and how-to’s, the children were off and running on their own how-to’s, and this time, they got to write them down!

    I was lucky enough to be there to see this unfold.  The students thought of something they knew how to do really well, and used draft sheets with the words on them to organize their ideas.  They re-used this draft sheet to make cohesive sentences.  I helped many students formulate sentences to write from our conversations.  From there, the students used these sheets to create a full draft, with lines, that they had the opportunity to revise and edit, with a blue pen.  After several conferences with teachers and revisions, the student teacher published their writing in books, which the students had the opportunity to illustrate.  It really was a great assignment, and I was happy to be able to catch glimpses of it, and talk with the student teacher about the unit as a whole, her concerns, and student progress.  

It was impressive for kindergartners and first graders.  And even more impressive that all of their writing was done in a second language!

2 comments:

  1. Devon, it is cool to hear about your placement and all the writing that takes place. I think it is great that you are in a Spanish immersion classroom, your parents must be so proud of you!I know I am. I think it is cool to hear about your experiences and the experiences of the students. Also, I can relate to the amount of writing exposure your students receive. The students in my class are constantly writing. For every subject students write in a specific journal about what they learned, what they want to learn, and what interested them the most. It is incredibly helpful to the students to not only get to practice writing across subjects, but helpful to my MT, because she gets an opportunity to see what the students are learning, and what they are interested about learning in the future.

    The tooth brushing mini lesson you write about sounds awesome. I love the creative techniques of your teacher especially for such an important hygiene related issue.I don't know if you know this, but gingivitis is the leading cause of tooth decay and bad breathe, and just brushing two minutes a day can drastically cut down on the possibility of suffering from said mouth trama. Just a little fun fact for you. Anyway, it is great that you have an opportunity to work with these students in their native language, and than help them translate the English word to Spanish. I can only imagine how developmentally beneficial this is for them. Great Stuff!

    Devon, I don't know if you knew this about me, but I am in a 4th grade class and it is interesting to see how the pre-writing stage is just as important to my 4th graders as it is to your youngsters. Although, pre-writing takes shape differently, the suggestions of Tompkins and Gibbon's are still practiced by the students in my classroom, which makes all the difference. Pre-Writing rocks!

    Sounds like a great lesson to be a part of. I'm sure you will do similarly great things in your classroom someday. Great work Devon, you are going to be a "star teacher." I had a special ed teacher tell me that one day, and it made me feel just great. So, I was hoping I could pass it off as my own original saying, but figured I should tell you the truth, because I felt bad pretending that it was me who said it first. Anyway.....great work champ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA this is too much for me as I am brushing my teeth right now as I type this!!! Too funny!

    Anyways, back to concept of writing. It's really ironic that both of you mention how both of your classrooms stress writing in every subject, since my jigsaw reading in Tompkins chapter 12 was all about writing in content areas and how important it is to connect reading and writing. Here is one quote that I found particularly useful in summarizing the main point of the chapter especially relating to content areas: "When students read about a topic before writing, their writing is enhanced because of what they learn about the topic, and when they write about the ideas in a book they're reading, their comprehension is deepened because they're exploring big ideas and relationships among ideas". I highly recommend both of you to breeze through this chapter as it provided really great ideas for incorporating writing across different content areas for any unit.
    Like both of you, my 4th graders are constantly writing and using the writing process. In almost every assignment, the teacher will send students back to correct misspellings/ grammar issues/ word choice etc. My MTs really emphasize good writing techniques and they give the students several opportunities to improve upon their work. I think every written assignment that students work on is eventually hung up on the wall outside the classroom for anyone to read them. I think this really encourages students to do their very best work since they will always have a big audience.
    Devon, I am always amazed at your work in the Spanish immersion classroom. What a great opportunity for these students to have a grasp on 2 languages at such a young age. I must agree with Matt, you will absolutely a "star teacher" :) I think we all will because we have been so blessed with this TE class that has given us countless ideas with which to reach our students and help them become all around LITERATE individuals!!

    ReplyDelete